I’ll try not to list all the obvious things, as you’ll already be more than aware that you need a bike and some swimming kit to compete in a triathlon, but here I will try and discuss a few things that maybe have slipped your thoughts.
- Supplements – You’re training hard, eating well and getting plenty of rest, but are you getting those vital extras you need. Lonsdale Supplements offer a huge range from Whey Protein to Creatine.
- Training Partner – You’re tired from a hard week of training, you barely slept last night because of the weather and you have a gruelling 10k in searing heat to complete today. You don’t want to, but having a training partner will not only help motivate you in working together, but you don’t want to let someone else down as well.
- Ipod and Headphones – Music is pretty much essential for me. That extra push to keep on running through the pain barrier. Load up your mp3 with upbeat tracks, turn up the volume and lose yourself. You’ll be done training for the day before you know it.
- Running Shoes – Don’t wear a brand new pair of shoes, don’t wear ill fitting shoes. Get a pair of shoes properly fitted in advance of your race, giving you time to wear them in, and get fully used to them before the big day.
- Water – Needs no explanation. Keep hydrated throughout training and race days.
- Cycling Helmet – This might sound obvious but don’t forget it. You won’t be allowed to compete, and if your helmet is visibly damaged you will be stopped from competing as well.
- Trisuit – These may come as a considerable investment dependent on quality, but if you feel that you need that extra edge, this could save you minutes during the cross over times.
- Watch – Monitoring your training and performance is essential. If you don’t know if you’re improving, then how will you know to push yourself more.
- Motivation – You can’t pay anyone for the privilege, and this is only as strong as you want it to be. Find real reason why you want to succeed, and when the going gets tough remind yourself why you are doing it!
Share your motivation with us, as well as anything you think has been missed.